Hey happy nesters! Let’s talk about something that is really important. Maybe even something that could change your life! 😉
Are you someone who constantly feels like you need to “organize” or “declutter” your home? Don’t worry… I think we have all been there, especially those of us who have kids. I know there are days that I feel like toys and stuffed animals have taken over my life! But even more, laundry, the pantry, the fridge… OK, OK… You get the idea!
So to help make our lives a little easier, I have made a list of quick tips on how to quickly organize and declutter your home, and how to keep it organized!
- SIMPLIFY: The rule thumb is if you haven’t used whatever “it” is in 6 months or more, you should probably box it up and/or just get rid of it. This could be clothes, toys, paperwork, etc. The more you get rid of, the easier packing will be when it’s time to move. And if you are not moving, this will just help you get and feel more organized!
- BASKETS, BOXES, LABELING – OH MY!: The easiest way to organize a closet, pantry, laundry room, medicine cabinet, or even the kids play room is to simply purchase some cute similar style & sized baskets or decorative boxes – large enough to place your items in. Place your spices, laundry soaps, toys, books, etc. in these boxes and apply cute labels. The look of the baskets or boxes will make the space look uniform, hence naturally more organized. And the labels will help you remember what goes in each basket or box after using your items. This also will help teach the kids how to clean up after a day of playing. When selling your house, having a few extra baskets or bins available is essential. With these baskets, you can tuck away bathroom toiletries or your daily-use kitchen countertop items, paperwork, etc. in 15 minutes or less, and it will make getting ready for a showing or open house a breeze!
- PACK UP VALUABLES: If you are selling your house, I always recommend to pack up your valuables prior to listing your home for sale. This could be your wedding china, collectibles, guns, jewelry, etc. You don’t ever want to have those items out during a showing or open house. Not only do those items make your home feel cluttered, but they are simply a distraction to buyers.
- DECLUTTER YOUR CLOSETS!: There are 3 main closets that buyers look in. Yes they will look in every closet, but their judgmental eyes are generally on 3 specific areas: Entry/Hall Closet, Master Closet, and the Pantry. So my rule of thumb is this: If you don’t want someone to see what you have in those closets, declutter and organize them according to my above suggestions. With clothing, I recommend clearing out all items that are out of season, and to keep 30-45 days worth of clothing accessible. The goal is to sell your home quickly so there is no need to keep all of your belongings in the closet. Also, make sure that loose items are off the floor – this could be blankets, towels, shoes, whatever. Make good use of the built-in shelves to display those items, and use clear tubs or buckets to store those items in if you have a lot. The more organized you look to a buyers, the more the buyer feels as though you kept the home maintained. Our goal is to get the buyer to focus on what is staying in the home when they purchase, not your personal stuff that you are taking with you.
- DECLUTTER (AND CLEAN) THE BATHROOM: Having clean looking and smelling bathrooms is essential to selling your home. Put away your toothbrush and toothpaste, perfumes and deodorants, and your hair products! Leave out fresh clean towels, a plant, hand soap, and a candle. Make your bathroom feel spa-like!
- KITCHENS SELL – LET’S MAKE YOURS LOOK AMAZING: Maximize counter space by removing all of the unnecessary items such as a toaster, knives, etc. Yes I know, you need those items to live, but you don’t and shouldn’t leave those items out during a showing or open house. What should be on the counter is a coffee station, a cookbook, a matching canister set, fresh fruit, and maybe even a floral arrangement. These items will showcase your kitchen in the best light!
If you need more help with organizing, decluttering, and staging your home for sale, give me a call! I can help you get your home ready!
832-427-2463 | Ashley@StagingTheNest.com
Check out my website for more information! http://www.StagingTheNest.com